Preparation time :: 10 minutes.
Cooking time :: 20 minutes.
Serves :: 4.
A typical chinese sweet.
- 3 delicious golden apples.
- 1/2 teacup plain flour.
- 2 tablespoons corn flour.
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder.
- For the caramel coating –
- 1 teacup sugar.
- 2 tablespoons oil.
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds.
- oil for deep frying.
For the caramel coating
- Put the sugar, oil and 2/3 teacup of water in a pan and cook on a high flame.
- When the mixture begins to bubble, shake the pan continuously to prevent burning.
- Continue cooking and shaking the pan until the syrup is light brown in color.
- Remove from the heat, add the sesame seeds and mix well.
How to proceed
- Mix the plain flour, corn flour and baking powder in a bowl. Add water and stir into a smooth, thick batter.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into bite-size pieces.
- Coat the apple pieces evenly with the batter and deep fry in hot oil until golden.
- Fill a serving bowl with ice-cubes and cover with water.
- Put the fried apples in the caramel syrup and coat evenly. Drain well and plunge into the ice-cubes bowl. Keep for a few minutes till the caramel coating hardens. Drain thoroughly.
- Variation : Toffee Bananas. Proceed as above substituting apples by bananas pieces.