Preparation time : 15 minutes .
Cooking time : 9 hours
Standing time: 1 hour.
- 1-1/2 pounds top sirloin steak or sirloin tip roast, all visible fat removed
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion (6 medium)
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (regular or nonalcoholic)
- 1/2-cup low-sodium ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced, or 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4-teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, divided
- 1/2-teaspoon red hot pepper sauce
- 1/4-teaspoon pepper
- 1-teaspoon dark brown, light brown or granulated sugar
- 8-8-inch nonfat or low-fat flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Put meat in slow cooker. Add onions and bell pepper. In a medium bowl, whisk together wine, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, bouillon granules, bay leaves, liquid smoke, 1/2-teaspoon cumin, hot pepper sauce and pepper. Pour wine mixture into slow cooker, cover tightly and cook on low setting for 9 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Shred meat using two forks, and return it to slow cooker. Remove and discard bay leaves. Add 1/2-teaspoon cumin and sugar and let mixture stand for 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and warm in oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon meat mixture down center of a tortilla. If you want to add garnishes, such as chopped tomatoes, salsa, shredded lettuce or nonfat or low-fat cheese and sour cream, do it now. Roll and repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Facts: per serving:
257 calories, 22 g. protein, 5 g. fat (percent calories from fat, 17), 31 g. carbohydrates, 53 mg. cholesterol, 229 mg. sodium, 3 g. fiber.