Barbecue is definitely not just a summertime event. For Filipinos, it can be in every party or a part of an ordinary meals. A Filipino barbecue is prepared with tiny bits of pork that are char-grilled and skewered on bamboo sticks. Although it is thinly cut in squares, the meat is filled with tons of flavors. You can taste the sweet, savory and spicy flavor that many people have come to know as Pinoy Styled Barbecue.
In the Philippines, these pork barbecues can be seen being sold on the streets. It is an affordable street delight that Filipinos cannot resist. The aroma of the barbecue attracts them and they line up in hordes to get a bite. Filipinos often serve beers with barbecues to enhance the flavor of the meat.
Ingredients for Filipino-Styled Barbecue
2 pounds of pork (shoulder or belly)
1 teaspoon of finely minced garlic
½ cup of soy sauce
¼ cup of calamansi juice (Calamansi are lime for Filipinos)
½ cup of banana catsup or tomato catsup
8 oz or a can of Ginger Ale (7-Up or Sprite for alternatives)
½ cup of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper powder
12 to 14 bamboo skewers
*This recipe can make about 12 to 14 Filipino-style servings.
Directions for Filipino-Styled Barbecue
You have to slice the pork meat in 1-inch cuts, to make it ready for the skewer.
Prepare the marinade by mixing together the minced garlic, soy sauce, calamanco juice (or lemon), banana catsup, half of ginger ale, salt and black pepper in a bowl.
Leave aside half of the marinade and sugar for the glaze.
Soak the pork in the marinade and keep the container in the freezer overnight.
Immerse bamboo skewers in water for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, skewer the pork onto the bamboo sticks. Have 6 to 7 pieces on each bamboo stick.
Set the barbecue grill to medium high heat so it can pre-heat.
Add the ginger ale and sugar that was set aside for the grilling glaze.
Grill the pork for 12 minutes on each side until it is char-grilled. Filipinos brush the glaze on the pork barbecue to make it moist and shiny.
Every barbecue is best served hot, but Filipino-style barbecue is served best with tomatoes, cucumbers, green pickled mangoes or green papaya pickled relish.
A tip to prevent the sugar from crystallizing or the meat from hardening is to mix the sugar in the marinade or glaze.
If your taste buds crave for spicy barbecue, add a teaspoon or two of sriracha sauce or one to two bird’s eye chilies.
Filipino-style barbecues can still be enjoyed in the winter season! Prepare the marinade and the pork on bamboo skewers. The oven should be pre-heated at 190.56 Degrees Celsius. A 9 by 13 with a height of not more than 2 inches. Place the grill over the shallow pan and the skewered pork on the grill rack. The pan should be placed at the center of the oven for 30 minutes at Pre-heat the oven at 190.56 Degrees Celsius.
Chefs or professional cooks usually have their tools of trade majorly as knives. For them to be enjoyable during use, their sharpness is usually very important in preservation of true flavors of fresh ingredients. It is also important for safety purposes as the risk of body injury is greatly reduced. Most do this when they are still sharp, most probably after their daily shift. This will require less effort compared with when it is completely blunt. To sharpen a knife one usually has two options; to either sharpen it yourself or give it to someone else to do it for you. But now you would want to know what knife sharpener do chefs use if you are planning on doing it yourself.
Tools used by chefs for sharpening
Japanese wet stones; this gives the knife a superior edge, thus enhancing its sharpness and its use usually requires lots of practice in order to be perfect. They are also known as water or whet stones.
The grades of stone used are;
Arato – a rough stone used for repairs and creation of a new bevel on badly worn knives.
Nakato- a medium stone used for very minor repairs and creating an even bur which is the first step of sharpening
Shageto- a superfine stone used for creating a highly polished edge and removing the coarse scratches left by the medium stone. This gives the feeling of smooth and sharp as opposed to just sharp.
Electric knife sharpeners; these mainly use electricity and have many advantages. They save time of the professionals and also reduce the costs of buying the new ones. They are also quick and ensure regular sharpening thus always having a sharp cutting edge always. These sharpeners use diamond coated disks in the first two sharpening stages and a patented and polishing disk for stage three. They are of different models and they work differently according to the chef’s choice and preferences. They also require regular manual cleaning when they become dirty or gazed. There is also a manually activated diamond pad that can be used if necessary.
Honing steel: these are steel metals that are usually bought together with the knives and are used for straightening the curved edges of blunt knives. They also maintain the sharpness of the cutting edge, thus providing a sharp and required smooth edge.
Using professional sharpeners; Most chefs always use tools such as professional knife sharpeners. The art of knife sharpening is always learnt through apprenticeship .The skills are perfected through continuous practice and years of experience in the trade.
It is no surprise that we always enjoy food prepared by master chefs without knowing the tools of trade used. Their tools are usually knives and they are always sharp so as to ensure that we get the best from them. Next time you see a chef, always appreciate the sharp knife behind him.
Are you looking for a super food that can virtually replace your multivitamin and provide you with all the essential nutrients you need? If so, wheatgrass may be the answer you have been looking for. Filled with all variety of essential vitamins and minerals, it is one of the best super foods out there today. With just a small quantity of this food added to your daily routine, you could experience a major change in your mental and physical well-being.
All the Essential Nutrients in Wheatgrass
From virtually all the B vitamins to vitamin A, C, E, K, and plenty in between, wheatgrass is filled with those vitamins. In addition to these vitamins, it has plenty of minerals like iron, zinc, and even a little bit of calcium, magnesium, and other essential minerals. In many ways, it can easily eliminate your need for a daily multi-vitamin as it already provides many of the same nutrients.
The Many Health Benefits of Wheatgrass
Of course, the health benefits of wheatgrass expand well beyond the measurable. Many buy wheatgrass not just to improve their physical health and wellness but also as a means to improve their spiritual well-being. After all, it is known to provide great cleansing benefits to the body. Beyond these cleansing effects, it also stimulates circulation, improves digestion, can help minimize sinus congestion, and has even been used to help prevent conditions like cancer. In many ways, wheatgrass is a sort of panacea, offering a one-stop solution for many of your common health problems and allowing you to align yourself better with the world around you.
Buy Wheatgrass Online
Going to your health food store, you might find that there are very few or no options when it comes to wheatgrass. Perhaps the easiest way to buy wheatgrass is to shop online instead. When you go online, you open up the possibility of shopping from all around the country. Instead of worrying about an item being in stock, you can take full advantage of everything that is available to you. More important, if you find an organic supplier you can be sure you are getting the absolute best in nutritional content and working with a product that will last.
Can You Grow Your Own Wheatgrass?
The other option out there is actually to grow your own wheatgrass. While this might sound like an attractive concept to all those self-sufficient people out there today, the trust is that growing wheatgrass can often be more trouble than it is worth. Many seeds are not heirlooms, which means that they can only be used effectively to make one harvest. As such, the perceived lower cost is often beat out by the time and energy required to grow. More important, you will also need to buy new seeds every time you want a new harvest.
Knowing that, the best way to buy wheatgrass is to just look online. When you can find an organic seller of this super food, don’t let it go. There are very few foods out there that compare to wheatgrass, so make it part of your diet the easy way.
Barbeque experts know how important it is to keep it clean. Even after using best ingredients and perfect recipes your food may not taste well if the BBQ is dirty. Especially the grill, if not cleaned properly may add a sour and bitter taste to the food prepared over and over on the same grill. It is therefore essential to keep it in good condition by regular thorough cleaning. This article entails effective methods for cleaning your various BBQ tools.
It is important to cool your BBQ before proceeding to clean it. Start from cleaning the exterior, then the inside and finally the bottom of the BBQ for a thorough and effective cleaning. This cleaning process will keep your BBQ in a good condition for a longer time and you will not face any hassle while cooking your steak.
Before starting, make sure you have the following cleaning tools to make your work easier.
* Rubber gloves to guard your hands from dirt and grease
* Cleaning pads-Make sure they are non-scratch ones to avoid unwanted scratches on the body
* BBQ brush – Use a stainless steel brush for enameled or ceramic coated BBQ whereas wire brushes for cast-iron surfaces. Choosing the right brush is extremely important to prevent any damage to the surface of your equipments
* Concentrated dish liquid to remove grease from the surfaces
* A bucket half filled with warm water
* Non toxic degreaser to remove sturdy deposited grease
* Paper towel
* Canola oil to prep the grill before cooking so that it prevents sticking
* Baking Soda for removing excessive grease
* Soft cleaning cloths to wipe off at the end
* A few onions
#1 The exterior of the barbeque
The exterior of the BBQ is easier to clean because there is no special skill required for it. You may do it just as you would do to clean exteriors of other kitchen appliances. Cleaning it regularly may not enhance the taste of your food but will definitely keep your equipment in an excellent condition.
*Whether you have a BBQ of stainless steel, plastic or metal surface, you may clean it with the help of a soft sponge dipped in warm soapy water. Put on your rubber gloves and add a few drops of concentrated dish liquid to a bucket of warm water. Apply it completely on the outer surface of the BBQ with a soft sponge and rinse off. Now dry the surface using a soft cloth.
* Side panels-Side panels tend to attract a lot of grease which gets deposited if not cleaned regularly. This may seem unsightly. To clean it you may cover it with a non toxic degreaser and let it stand for some time. When you see the grease breaking down just wipe it off with a soft sponge dipped in water. Take a soft cloth and dry the surface.
* Handles– Handles and knobs get dirty more quickly. You continuously keep touching them while preparing the food. Traces of raw meat may stick to such surfaces and if not cleaned properly may cause cross contamination. A degreaser may help in breaking down the deposited impurities. Use it in the same way as you cleaned the side panels.
* Hoses and the tank– The hoses and the propane tank need not to be cleaned specifically. You may use a clean cloth to wipe off any spills over them although it is essential to check for any leakage or clogs to prevent any accident. You may refer to your BBQ models user manual for ensuring the safety of the specific tank hoses and the burner. Replace any hose that has holes or cracks.
#2 The interior
Once you are done with cleaning the exterior of the BBQ, it’s time to clean the interior of it which requires more intense cleaning. Start with the inside of the lid, grates and the flavor bars in the following way:
* Interior of the lid– This is the place where you will see a lot of food built-up. This is nothing but carbonized grease which builds up from constant flare-ups and spatters. This may appear as a peeling paint but is actually non toxic. You may use a stainless steel non scratching BBQ brush or a non scratch sponge to scrub off these depositions. Again wash the inside of the lid with warm soapy water and dry it with a cloth.
* Grates– Now this is the most important part. If your grills are not cleaned properly, your food will never taste excellent in-spite of all your efforts. Whether you have stainless steel, porcelain enameled or coated, or cast iron grills make sure to clean it before and after every use. You may use a wire BBQ brush which has golden colored bristles to clean cast iron grills while stainless steel and porcelain enameled or coated grills may be cleaned with the help of a stainless steel wire brush.
You may also try rubbing onions on the grills when hot which remove the bits of food from the grills. To make the cleaning process easier, always apply canola oil on the grills with the help of a paper towel before cooking. It prevents the food from sticking to it.
* Burners and Flavor Bars– Burners should be regularly checked for ensuring safety while using the BBQ. Keep them free from any clogs that may cause flash back fires. Invest in a BBQ burner brush for cleaning it effectively.
Flavor bars are essential equipments which prevent any dripping to the burners that may cause flare-up and ruin your food. It is said to add flavor to the food by vaporizing the fat. To clean it, first remove the flavor bars and apply degreaser on it. Stand for some time and wipe off with a sponge or a clean cloth.
#3 The cook box bottom
Most of the food that falls to the bottom while cooking gets accumulated at the bottom of the cook box. Continuous deposition of carbonized grease and food tend to stick to the bottom if not cleaned regularly.
* The bottom– You may use a non scratch sponge to scrape away the deposits and wash the surface with warm soapy water. If there are tough grease accumulated, use a degreaser to clean them off.
* Grease tray– Some BBQ have grease tray that gets filled up quickly. Make sure you empty it as soon as it gets filled and wipe off with a clean cloth before replacing them. Using tins foils may cause fires, so avoid them completely.
#4 BBQ Accessories
Keeping your BBQ tools and accessories clean helps in maintains good hygiene while cooking on the grill. To clean them you may place them to the dishwasher if you have dishwasher safe ones. Or you may soak them in warm soapy water and rinse off. To keep your BBQ free from unwanted dirt, invest in a BBQ cover. Keeping your equipments covered when not in use will increase its life.